Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The damn rat and why it makes me paranoid now...

So last night, my best friend and I went out to karaoke for our friend's birthday. We had a nice time...the birthday girl was sufficiently inebriated, and all was well...until we got to the train station.


Now, I don't know how much you all know about the NYC Subway System. It's over 100 years old, probably the oldest subway system in the country. As a result, it is in desperate need of repairing, or, more importantly, cleaning. Another thing about the NYC Subway System is that there is a slight rodent problem. I say slight as probably the biggest understatement next to George W. being a not so bright man.

So the rat. The rats in the subway system have a tendency to run the tracks in search of food. We all know this. The particularly bold ones will come onto the train platform itself late at night for its midnight snack. This particular night was no exception. My friend and I are standing there and these two dudes are walking down the platform rather casually. No biggie. Then all of a sudden, one of them lets out this yelp. So we're standing there like, Huh? Then my friend lets out a small yelp and is like, "Oh!" I look down...and freak out.

The damn rat is on my ankle like he belongs there.

After screeching and doing some hop, skip and jump dance, the rat scurries off down the platform, causing everyone in its wake to scamper, hide, and, well, freak out just a little. Everyone's looking at me with collective looks of pity, horror, and amusement. I done dropped my water bottle...my sweater's on the dirty ground...and I am still shaking my foot in utter terror. The damn rat attacked me! This is some bull-sheet!

I calmed down a little...but not much. Who gets attached by a damn RAT??!? You know who? Me. Only me. I kid you not, the strangest things happen to me. I've begun to tape and/or record some of these things because no one would believe me otherwise, I don't think. Some things are pretty incredulous...and if it wasn't for the fact that it happened to me, I wouldn't believe it.

When the train finally came, I sat down, looked frantically for my sanitizer, and sprayed the hell out of my foot. When I got home, I scrubbed myself clean. This morning, as I got off at West 4th on the way to work, I watched my feet the entire way.

No rat's gonna get me this time. *stuppes*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More