Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Going Back To Love

If you're reading this, raise your hand if you've ever been in love.


*crickets creak, tumbleweed rolls by me in the classroom*

So maybe I'm being a little melodramatic. It's what I do, I can't help it. I thought I was in love...a few times. I've been in relationships where I thought that I would do whatever it took to make sure that this relationship worked. One of these subsequent relationships resulted in Michele Alexa. She is my pride and joy.

And then after that, love don't live here no mo'. LOL.

I mean, that's not true. Love is an objective thing and a concept of mind over matter. (I know...I didn't talk about the heart or ANYTHING!!) The thing about the heart is that it's a muscle. It pumps blood to and from other body parts. That's about it. I hate to break it to folks. LOL. Love is, however, the mind going into irrational overdrive. The palms sweating and heart racing is all a matter of your brain registering anxiety over a potentially irrational situation.

Yup, I just turned love into a clinical science. I'm sorry in advance to all my die-hard romantics. (Well, not really. Just felt like the right thing to say. LOL.)

The reason people use the heart when referencing love and romance is because in the pre-Christian era, before people realized that the brain was the center of functioning, people thought the heart was the epicenter of it all. And understandably so, I suppose. It was in the center of everything. I guess it's like thinking the world is flat. I dunno.

But enough random knowledge facts. The point is, love, to me, is something that I haven't actually come upon yet. Not true love. Oh, sure, there are people I like enough. There are people that I liked enough in the past to want to have a relationship with...and den dey crazy asses showed up and dis Caribbean gyul hea ain't wyan no part o dat! LOL. Then there are the 'crush(es)'...not many, but the ones that you know are probably not your best relationship pic no matter what but you just can't help but like them. Those are dangerous because you get all wuk up ova de man and he already let you know (either verbally or nonverbally) that your interest and his interest are not the same interests. Now, unless you're into s&m...this is just abuse for no good reason.

Which leads me to where I am today...single and chillin'. Why? I guess I'm just waiting to see what walks my way. Not searching because this is one of those things that when you seek, you shall not find. It finds you when it's ready. And maybe I'm just not ready so that's why I haven't seen it. What I do know is this...I have this quote on my FB page that sums up what I think love should be:

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.

Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two."
- "Captain Corelli's Mandolin", Louis de Bernieres


What do you all think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More