Monday, March 22, 2010

The Love Grind: Are You Ready?

This blog has been a long time coming.

I hate teenyboppers and young adults who run around talking bout, "that's my hubby" or "she's my wifey" like they're married. Some even wear rings. It's really dumb and...

Wait. Sorry. I started rambling. Lemme back track.

I used to be a Facebook addict. I would log on to talk to my friends that I very rarely get to see. FB was, and still is, a venue for me to voice my opinions, frustrations, and triumphs. I haven't been on as much lately...I've had a lot of business stuff going on that has kept me busier than usual. Fast forward to the other day/the reason for this rambling. I was checking my FB page after a two week hiatus, and I ran across a few posts talking about "ily hubby" and "i love my wifey, she brought me lunch today".

*blank stare* Um...did you all get married and not tell me?

They weren't secretly married. They are just another one of the growing population who think that calling someone 'hubby' makes them married, who think that 'wifey' is an adorable term of endearment. PSA, my young ladies and gents: It's not sexy or cute and all you do is downplay yourselves when you do that. I'm a single as it comes, and even I know that being married takes a lot more than calling someone 'hubby' or 'wifey'. So, being who I am, I post my usual 'PSA' to Facebook. 23 comments later, I'm here at this blog.

One of the comments made was that they are "selling themselves short". As with most topics like this, the conversation evolved into something else that I wasn't expecting, which got me back to thinking about this: why don't we grind for love the same way that we grind for our careers, or even our friends? What makes this animal of love so different? Like, for example, I cannot begin to tell you how many people that I know that have been together for YEARS and say things like, "we don't need a piece of paper to be considered married". But um...if you're living together, and you're paying the bills together and you have mutual accounts  and mutual interests...why can't you make it all official? What is it about the word 'marriage' that has people running scared?

I guess that's where this whole love thing comes into play.

But that's where I get even more confused. Think about it, allyuh. When you want to jump start your career, you put out feelers that help you determine what job is best for you, and then you go out to get it. You'll work late hours, you'll seek out all types of resources, be excited about moving up the ladder, start business ventures, all with the premise of making a name for yourself and making money. Many head strong business types, it seems, particularly independent women, when asked if they were single and, if so, why, cite that they don't have time for a relationship, or they aren't willing to take the risk. But why? If you're willing to take the risk on your career, why not on love? Why not grind for love? What is there to be so afraid of in love that there isn't anywhere else?


I remember talking about whether or not I was ready for love. I still don't think I am. I still feel as if I have so much to do within me that to absorb whatever love out there is potentially for me - it's not time yet. But I will not do what I see so many other people do so often, especially my girls (who I still love, but I can't rock out with y'all on this one) I will not shut myself out from the possibility of love if it comes my way. And I will not push it away, either. As hard as I am going for this dream of mine, I am determined to go just as hard for love, whenever it's ready for me. I've been hurt before...really badly. I'm not the only one. But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel a little bit lost when I make a huge business deal or win an award and I want to share it and I have to wait until that other person is available to share it. I always said I failed sharing in kindergarten. I want my own person to share my success with. And when they're ready and I'm ready, I'm going for it. That might make me a sucka for love. I don't care. I want to be happy in love all the way around.

This is the second blog in a series about love and relationships and life, well, at least, my life. Discuss. Why do you think we have such problems in love?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More