Sunday, August 30, 2009

Locs and the Ever Eluding Patience

I am currently approaching my first month of having 'locs'. On Thursday, I will get my hair washed (Oh thank GOD) and re-twisted. In this month, I have gone through quite a bit of self discovery and self examination. My loctician explained to me that the first six months of having locs is an exercise in patience: my locs will become frizzy and look slightly unkempt before eventually smoothing out. I looked at my hair today...frizz galore. Clearly I've skipped three months. And I've kept them tied when I wasn't running around. So I dunno. Sigh.

I myself am an interesting exercise in patience. There are certain things and certain people that I have no patience for: the excuses, the fibs/lies, the stupidity. And yet, if you find your way into my heart and/or mind, I have infinite patience for you/the things. It's interesting, because for me, trust/love is earned and it is extreme: I either love you on sight or I can simply tolerate you, and rarely do you ever move past that point. Same goes for trust. If I trust you, I trust you with everything and that is difficult to reverse. If I don't trust you, I never will. If you ever make it from trust to non trust, it is irreversible.

So when I got my locs (to tie the two things in together), I knew that patience with the state of my hair was key. Part of my reason for starting them at this stage in my life is that I knew that it would be an exercise in my level of patience. So then, why am I having such a difficult time with being patient in the other aspects of my life? Take love/relationships, for example. In the changes that I have been making in my life, a part of me wonders if this 'prince' (for lack of a better term) will show themselves to me, or, if they already have, why they are being such a 'bitch ass' (again, for lack of a better term). Now, I work on me for me, not so that I can get what I want...it was just a curious thing that came to mind that I wondered about. (A large portion of this thought process could be perpetuated by the insanity of my family and family friends...but that's another blog.)

Same thing for my business. Why is it taking so long for it to pick up the way that I would like it to? Granted, again, I know that these things take time. I know it's a recession, and I know that there are a lot of contributing factors to why my business is where it currently is. But yet I find myself being utterly impatient when leads don't come in, or when potential clients, in essence, flake. I know, I know, it's all part of the business. But still. Sigh.

It is my hope that watching my locs grow and cultivating them will also allow me to become, overall, a more patient person. Until then...


GRRRR...LOL...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More