Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Dangerous 28 (Self Analysis #3 of...or is it 4?)

*toys with loc* So I'm 28.



*pensive frown*

Ok, so to those of you who are wondering what the big deal is, I'm 28 years old. To me, 28 is the milestone year, not 25 and certainly not 30. Why is that? I say that because usually, 28 is the year that most people start to...well, panic. Panic in the sense that they are 2 years away from 30 and they have to make sure that they are on the right track before they turn 30.

Because you know...life as we know it ends at 30. Didn't you know that? Aren't you glad you're reading this so that I have you on put on status? (extreme sarcasm)

Well anyway. I am starting to reach that point where I find myself wondering if I am doing everything that I need to be doing. I know. I know. It seems nuts. I'm always the one telling everyone else not to pigeonhole themselves into a timeline...not to worry about who thinks it's a shame that you're not married , or where your heart may lay, or even the little growing pains that may come your way. After my girlfriend that I haven't spoken to in a while died recently, I started thinking about what I was doing at 28 more than ever. We were the same age. Stuff like this, unfortunately, always gets you to thinking.(Then again, I'm always thinking.)

Am I doing what I need to be doing? What do I need to be doing? I mean, I think I'm doing pretty well...business is growing, my daughter is getting bigger and smarter, things are pretty good with my friends and my family, things are going well. What am I missing? Am I missing something?

To shift gears for a moment, I was reading another of my favorite bloggers, Belle Woods of A Belle in Brooklyn. She was talking about embracing your sexuality by not being afraid to show your sexual side. In my latest self-analysis (this is #4, I checked), I went back and thought about my nature and being a flirt. It's funny, but I always wondered how true it was that a woman who exudes sexuality gets it in return. Lately, I've been feeling as if the concept of me being in a long term relationship is...I don't know...limited. I tend to embrace my sexuality...but at the same time, society says that a woman who does so is labeled a freak "empowered". And the "empowered" woman gets the man - or men - but never the commitment. (At least, it doesn't appear so to me.) Then I wonder is it because men like mystery more than empowerment. Hmm. 

Then I look back at all that I've accomplished, all that I've done and do, and I wonder to myself, why is it that I don't focus on my accomplishments? Why is it that many of my blogs are about relationships and sex and the like? And moreover, if I embrace my sexuality, and I don't care what people think, then why is this on my mind? What the hell happened to introspective KP, that ranted about politics and books and the like?

You see what kinds of absurd thoughts 28 brings to the table?

I think that in my process of opening up about me, I've become this relationship-obsessed person that I am not a fan of. I will be falling back. Intellectual KP is set to make a reappearance. But in the meantime...

Tell me your thoughts. How do you feel about milestone birthdays? Do you think that there is something to be said about how milestone birthdays affect your thinking?

1 comments:

Well every year is a milestone for me because fortunately ever year brings me further than the year before. For example, just last year I was graduating from grad school dreaming of a career in HR...this year I have it. I treat every birthday like a huge event and I make sure to take in some self reflection before each one to make sure I'm progressing and not staying stagnant. The reflection is what makes each year better and more blessed than the year before.

In terms of BIG milestones like 30,hmmm, I'm not panicking. I actually CAN'T WAIT to turn 30! I've been dying to turn 30 since 26,lol. I loved my 20s I really did. I did amazing things, way more than some people I know, but I'm ready to do these amazing things without so much of the trial and error that comes with being in your 20s. I'm ready for new lessons and bigger, better experiences....so Dirty 30 here I come :-)

It's okay to talk about relationships a lot. Outside of us being bombarded with it in the media, we are at an age where we take relationships more seriously than we did when we were younger. We're realizing the value of stability, real love, family and partnerships, so it's natural that it's on the brain a lot at this point. Keep talking about it, it not only helps you learn,but your thoughts might be helping someone else. However, if Freaky, Intellectual Kim is asking to come out and play...I say let her! She always has something good to say:-)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More