Saturday, September 12, 2009

Your Help Is No Longer Needed...Thanks!

Ok. I love when I hear the following: "After all I'm doing to help you, the least you could do is..."

Stop. Just stop.

Why do I have to feel entitled to do you a favor or comply with something you asked for if you offered me assistance? And yes, this is going to sound utterly selfish, but here's the thing...I NEVER ASKED FOR HELP. Part of the reason that I do not ask for help is that I do not want to then later on feel entitled to do something in return that I am not sure I will be able to do. Another reason is that I hate when people offer their assistance and then try and make you feel bad if you don't do something their way. That's not the way help should work. That's not the kind of help I want.

If you offer me help, I want you to offer me help because you want to help me, not because you are trying to keep tabs on me...or have something to hold over my head. Neither one of these things is going to endear you to me nor make me want to help you in the future. When I help others, I help, not ever expecting anything in return. And if this is not the type of assistance you can provide me with, then don't "offer" your help. It's that simple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More