Sunday, September 13, 2009

When It's Ok to Be an Asshole...

So. I got myself caught up watching TV today. Yes, I watched the VMA's, solely for the Michael Jackson tribute. Job well done on that, MTV. (BET, take notes...lol) Of course, by now, I am sure that you have heard about the Kanye West/Taylor Swift debacle. It happened as I was preparing to turn off the TV (the tribute was over! Whaat?!). So when I saw the whole thing unfold before my eyes, my first thought was, "Nooooooooooooooooo...Kanye, what are you DOING??!??!?!?! You're being more of an asshole than usual!!!!"

Now of course, when you think of asshole, you think of a person who is unscrupulous, callous, out the box with it, arrogant, etc., etc. There's no definition as to what an asshole truly is...or is there? Though the American Heritage Dictionary does not definite 'asshole', it does define 'ass' as "A vain, silly, or stupid person". So now. We know that Kanye's a bit vain and can be a bit silly. He's not exactly stupid, though he apparently is wont to do certain stupid things. But is there anything wrong with being those things? It depends on who you are, I suppose.

And you don't have to agree with me, but here's my spin on it. Take the Real Housewives of Atlanta, for example...or Martin's character on "Martin"...or Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth (remember her?)...or any of the antagonists on any of these 'reality' TV shows...why do we like them? Because they're ASSHOLES...and assholes are entertaining to watch and/or listen to!! Don't front...everyone knows at least one asshole that you just can't help but listen to ramble and or talk bad bout or laugh at. And if you claim you don't know any, chances are, YOU'RE the asshole! LOL...

But seriously (even though I was serious before, lol)...usually, if you speak your mind and you're coarse and/or crass about it, you're labeled an asshole. And there really is nothing wrong with speaking your mind...I do it all the time, and I'm not one to sugarcoat either...in fact, I've been called an ass a time or two myself. However. I am a firm believer in not blatantly disrespecting someone else's personal space. And, of course, there is also a time and a place for these types of mannerisms and behavior. And herein is where the distinction lies: if expressing your opinion, if being an 'ass' hereby causes you to become or be in a person's personal space, ie: taking the mike from someone in midsentence and blurting out your opinion, then dammit, you've crossed the line. LOL. And no, the Kanye incident was not nearly important enough for me to be honing in on it...it just so happens that it is currently the best demonstration of when assholeness goes too far that everyone would be able to reference and understand. So with that said...

Be an ass. Rock out with it. Sometimes, the blatantness of what you are saying is necessary JUST the way you thought it, jacked up and all. Do NOT in your assholeness invade someone else's personal space. That's too much. Trust me, if you catch the wrong one, you're going to have bigger issues than trying to express your opinion. There could be a fight and words and the cops and...it just gets ugly. Trust me. Next thing: if you don't know when and where assholeness is appropriate, then just steer clear of it. Some people have made being an asshole a craft that they know how to properly curtail it when necessary. If this is not you, then just don't. Oh!! And one more thing: everyone's not going to like what you have to say. In fact, I can promise you, most won't. If this bothers you, STOP TRYING TO BE AN ASSHOLE. You're not. Just be nice. You'll get what you want better being yourself. My asses (lol), if you have something worth saying...and you want people to hear you out...my advice is to know your audience and hit 'em in a way where they get it. Otherwise, I promise, you'll just be throwing words into the air.

Everybody got it?? Good. Now, enough about Kanye, there's more important stuff going on...=o)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More