Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Call Me the Anti AutoTune, Pro VDay TweetHead

"This is Death of Autotune/Moment of Silence" - Jay-Z

What more fitting way to start this rambling? By now, most of us have heard this song by neighborhood dealer turned multi million dollar rapper mogul Jay-Z (yes, I went in that deep, I'm an admitted Jay-Z fan). When this song dropped, it didn't really matter that I had my eyebrows raised at the fact that my retired rapper aficionado was coming out with yet another album, all that mattered was that he said "Death to Autotune"!!

YESS!!!

At last, someone laid claim to my undying HATRED of the voice synthesizing machine that turned untalented 'artists' into multi million dollar selling...err...people. Though Roger Troutman made the vocoder very popular with funk hits such as "I Wanna Be Your Man", the newest trend of no talent artists (read: T-Pain) that have taken and spun the use of machine out of control baffles me.

Now, hear me out. I'm sure some of you are reading this and saying 1. Who the hell are you to say that they have no talent? 2. Who the hell are you to infer that one artist can determine who can and can't do something, and 3. Um...who the hell are you...PERIOD!!

Well, I'm just a Caribbean rambler. No one important per se. But I know music. I know music...and I know talent. That much I do know. And I know that with few exceptions (Jamie Foxx being one of them), the vast majority of the people who use autotune techniques are NOT talented. This is not to say that they are not innovative or creative in their own right. T-Pain is, indeed, talented in the sense that he was able to build this brand of himself using the tools he knew how to use best. That is what I like to call good marketing. He is not, however, classically talented. I love good music. I MISS good music.

Moving on.

I've been seeing and hearing a lot of Valentine's Day rants and ramblings, usually from those who are currently unattached or who have had bad experiences. I say this, simply: we get too hung up on holidays and the like. We also don't open ourselves up to feeling again, new relations and the like. Granted, it is true that we are human and cannot help instinctively wanting to simply curl up into a ball and protecting ourselves from emotional hurt that way, but really though, what did the 'holiday' do to you? I guarantee you, when you have a meaningful relationship, you won't be throwing the day shade anymore (unless you're like my homegirl and her husband, who could truly care LESS. But not many are like them. LOL). So stop it. Be nice to V Day. *smiles*

Finally. I am an official TweetHead. I spend 30% of my day at LEAST on Twitter. I know some ppl hate Twitter. Take it from someone who was the same way: use it for a while and then make a judgment. You'll change your mind. I swear.

What do you think of Autotune? Do you think it's overused? How do you feel about Valentine's Day? Contrite day or welcome extra love? What are your thoughts on Twitter? Think....discuss...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More