Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Spl/it Persona?

"Tell me what do they see/when they look at me/Do they see my many/personalities..."
- Split Personality, Pink



Do I have a split personality? A split persona?

I was talking with a good friend of mine over the weekend, and we got to chatting about the difference between our public and our private persona. I was pointing out that when you are in the public eye, particularly if you make your name your brand, there is a certain limitation that you naturally put on your personality - your 'public' persona. When you are dealing with hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people on a regular basis, you find yourself giving one portion of you - be it so that you aren't taken advantage of, or maybe it's because you are trying to maintain a certain image. She nodded in agreement...and then pointed out that I have done the same.

Wait...what?

I am a mommy first and a business woman second. But I am always KP. I'm bubbly and a smart ass sarcastic. I am honest, upfront, and driven. I love to dance and wuk up meh waist. I am kind and giving of myself and my time to the people that care about me. Are all of those things no longer apparent to the public eye? I don't ever want to stop being me because my star is on the rise...wait, do I actually care what other people's opinions are now?

Sigh...you mean, I have to care now? Really? Aw, just hell.

My best friend/GGG (good good girlfriend)/homeskilletbiscuit pointed out to me that as open and honest as I tend to be, as candid as I am many times, the fact remains that because of what I am doing with my brand, the people that are paying attention to what I am saying now has grown. The interest in what I am saying has grown. (I haven't bought into this theory yet. But I listened.) As a result, I must adjust (not change) the way that I handle certain encounters...the way I say certain things...and, most definitely, who I say certain things to.

Sigh. Allyuh, I jes wanna cook up meh likkle food fuh de people dem! (I just want to cook. Really and truly.) Ok, so I want to be a household name, too. Well...I want my BRAND to be a household name. I truly believe that what I have to offer can and will put the Caribbean that I have come to know and love on the map. But...the moves that I have been making seem to have me at a crossroads...how can I continue to be me, let me shine through, and still maintain a professional, poised person with a plan? (I didn't mean to use all those p's in one sentence. Honest.)

So here is my question to you, fellow entrepreneurs, movers, shakers, et al...when you created your brand, when you started really making moves, especially those of you who are using your name as your brand, how did you balance your personality and your 'persona'?

Chat up wid meh one time...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More